USCIRF Recommends India, Russia for ‘Countries of Particular Concern’ Tag
- US Congress-constituted quasi-judicial body designated four nations, including India, as “countries of particular concern”, alleging that religious freedom conditions there in 2020 continued their negative trajectory.
- The annual report of the US Commission for International Religious Freedom (USCIRF) also recommended the State Department to redesignated 10 nations as “countries of particular concern” (CPC). These are Burma (Myanmar), China, Eritrea, Iran, Nigeria, North Korea, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan.
Australia cancels belt and road deals with China
- Australia announced it would revoke a state government’s deal to join China’s Belt and Road initiative.
- The reason given for the cancellation was that it was inconsistent with the nation’s foreign policy.
India elected to 3 bodies of U.N. Economic and Social Council
- India was elected recently on three UN bodies-
- Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice (CCPCJ)
- Executive Board of the UN Entity for Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women (UN Women)
- Executive Board of the World Food Programme (WFP)
Cryptocurrency and Regulation of Official Digital Currency Bill, 2021
- The bill will prohibit all private cryptocurrencies and lay down the regulatory framework for the launch of an official digital currency.
- A 3-6 month exit period prior to banning the trading, mining and issuing of cryptos will be given according to the inter ministerial discussions.
- The high-power inter-ministerial committee has previously recommended a ban on all private cryptocurrencies.
- Indian investors hold around $1.5 billion (Rs 10,000 crore) in digital currencies.
Care Ratings and ICRA
- The GDP growth forecast of India has been downgraded by CARE ratings to 10.2 per cent in 2021-22 (FY22). Earlier this was estimated between 10.7-10.9 per cent.
- The lockdown which has impacted the economic activity is a major reason for the downgrade.
- The domestic rating agency ICRA has cut the growth estimate of India for 2021-22 by 0.5 per cent on the upper end and now expects the economy to grow 10-10.5 per cent in 2021-22 as against 10-11 per cent estimated earlier.
- International Mother Earth Day: 22 April. Earth Day was renamed officially by the UN in 2009 as International Mother Earth Day. World Earth Day 2021 will mark the 51st Anniversary. It is observed since 1970. The theme of 2021 International Mother Earth Day is Restore Our Earth.
- International Girls in ICT Day marked annually on the fourth Thursday in April. This year International Girls in ICT Day is observed on 22nd April 2021. International Girls in ICT Day aims to inspire a global movement to increase the representation of girls and women in technology.