Following are current affairs issues relevant for RBI grade B, SEBI, NABARD and other exams.
RBI Lifts curb on Bandhan Bank:
- In September 2018, RBI had put curb on Bandhan Bank from opening any new branches without prior approval and froze remuneration of its CEO.
- This came in the wake of bank’s failure to bring down promoters shareholding in the bank to 40% within three years of its operations as mandated by it while granting the bank licence.
- Merger with Gruh finance reduced promoters stakeholder, hence curbs lifted.
Reports and Indices:
National Land Record and services Index:
- Land record and services index assess the extent of digitisation of land records and their quality across 33 states and union territories.
- MP, Odisha, Maharashtra, Chattisgarh and Tamil Nadu are the five best performing states.
- Their score varied anywhere between 60 and 75 points in the index.
- Only nine states have provision for getting a digitally signed copy of Record of Rights (RoR);
- Only three states have case of computerisation of Registration.
IMD Forecast for Summer 2020:
- As per IMD forecast most parts of northwest, west, central and south India are likely to be hotter than usual.
- IN the remaining divisions, the average temperature is expected to be near normal in the summer months.
- Day temperatures are likely to be above normal by 0.5° Celsius.
- El-Nino is expected to be neutral in the March-May period.
32 projects sanctioned under Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana (PMKSY)
- 32 projects were sanctioned by Inter-Ministerial Approval committee headed by Minister of Food Processing Industries Smt Harsimrat Kaur Bada Under PM Sampada scheme
About Sampada Scheme
- The main objective of this Scheme is creation of processing and preservation capacities and modernisation/ expansion of existing food processing units with a view to increasing the level of processing, value addition leading to reduction of wastage.
- The PMKSY has seven component schemes viz; Mega Food Parks, Integrated Cold Chain and Value Addition Infrastructure, Infrastructure for Agro-Processing Clusters, Creation of Backward and Forward Linkages, Creation/Expansion of Food Processing and Preservation Capacities, Food Safety and Quality Assurance Infrastructure, and Human Resources and Institutions.
- MoFPI is implementing PMKSY and the period of implementation is 2016-20 with a total outlay of Rs 6,000 crore.
Capacity Building Programme for Scheduled Tribe
- Union Tribal Affairs Minister Shri Arjun Munda launched the “Programme for Capacity Building of Scheduled Tribe Representatives in Local Self Governments” at a programme in Bhubhaneswar (Odisha)
- The Capacity Building initiative is aimed at empowering tribal PRI representatives by enhancing their decision making capabilities at local government level.
- Among other issues concerning tribal development, it also focusses on constitutional and legal provisions that protect and promote the rights and welfare of the tribal population.
- The programme will ensure greater participation of ST PRIs representatives in planning, execution and monitoring of government policies and programmes.
- Their better participation in the development process would ensure better prioritizations of the tribal development agenda.
1000 Springs Initiatives:
- Springs are natural sources of groundwater discharge and have been used extensively in the mountainous regions across the world, including India.
- However, in the central and eastern Indian belt with more than 75% tribal population, it remains largely unrecognized and under-utilized. The initiative will help in harnessing the potential of perennial springs’ water to address natural scarcity of water in tribal areas.
- ‘1000 Springs Initiative’ aims at improving access to safe and adequate water for the tribal communities living in difficult and inaccessible part of rural areas in the country. It is an integrated solution around natural springs.
- It includes provision of infrastructure for piped water supply for drinking; provision of water for irrigation; community-led total sanitation initiatives; and provision for water for backyard nutrition gardens, generating sustainable livelihood opportunities for the tribal people
- Under this initiative, more than 70 young tribal youths from the rural belt of three districts of Odisha namely, Kalahandi, Khandamal and Gajapati have been trained as barefoot hydro geologists by combining traditional and scientific knowledge for identification and mapping of springs, and undertaking rejuvenation and protection measures in their habitations.